Urgun Shiriin Khuree
Read in Mongolian
Name(s) of Temple :
Urgun Shiriin Khuree,Khuvilgaan Bagshiin Khuree,Manai Khuree,
Rinchen Number :
79
Rinchen Name :
Urgun shireegiin khural, Lashin khuvilgaany khural
Type of Monastery/Temple:
Monastic School
Aimag where the temple is located:
Zavkhan
Sum where the temple is located:
Shiluustei
Old Aimag Name :
Sain Noyon
Old Khoshuu Name :
Narvanchin khutagtiin shavi
Historical Summary (In Mongolian only):
Завхан аймаг Шилүүстэй сум. Өндөр ширгийн хурал /Лашид хувлгааны хүрээ/ Хошууч мэргэн бэйэсийн хошууны нутаг одоогийн ШИлүүстэй сумын Баянулаан багт Отгонтэнгэр уулын баруун хэсэгт сумын төвөс 60 орчим км газар энэхүү Өргөн ширгийн хурал төвхнөж байжээ.1830-аад оны үед байгуулагдсан энэ хурал нь чухам хэдэн ламтай ямар ямар сүм дугантай байсан тухай мэдээлэл олдоогүй байна.Уг хурал 1937, 1938 оны үед хаагдсан бөгөөд 1946 онд сүм дуганыг нь нураажээ.Хурлыг хаагдсаны дараа 1946 онд сүм дуганыг нураах хүртэл 8, 9 жилд энэ хүрээний туурийг сахиж Гамбажав гэдэг хүн нутаглаж байгаад насан өөд болжээ.1990 онд уг хурлын Цогчин дуганы туурин дээр сүсэгтэн олон нэгэн жижиг сүм босгосон байна.
Description of location :
This historical site is located on land of the .Bayan Ulaan brigade in Shileestei Sum of Zavkhan Province, 60 km away from Shileestei sum centre. The site lies southwest of the Khangai mountain range and southwest of the nation’s worshiped mountain Otgontenger Mountain. Since 1990 a small stupa, built by Andia Khuvilgaan and based on the previous monastery site, is worshiped every year. There are no homesteads surrounding this area. Our team member, Bileg-Erdene studied at the latter-mentioned monastery.
GPS coordinates :
North 47° 13’ East 097° 17’
Total site area:
Side1: 300 Side2: 400 Side3: Side4: Side5: Side6:
Revived temple on site :
Yes
Site status at the time of survey :
The temple base is located 30 km. west of the Otgontenger mountain. There are building bases and a few other ger bases clearly visible. The main Tsogchen Dugana base is now occupied by a small temple. In 1945 – 1946, a man called Dambajav guarded the site until his death. Upon his death, the monastery was dismantled. The new temple opened on the 18th of August 1998. Construction was initiated by Dembereldorj and Donchin and the actual construction was done by a team led by Gurtsog, Tserensodnom and Sanjshiirev. From 1990–1998, the site was occupied by a small ger temple which would organize assemblies according to the local devotees’ numbers at the time. From 1998 t0 2001, on the 8th day of each New Year, the temple served Dari Ekhiin Mandal (The four Mandalas of Tara), Tsogchen assembly (The Great Assembly) and performed Altangerel’s rite. On the 9th and 10th of each new year, rituals for Gombo, Choijoo and Lkham deities were performed. The main deity was Lkham deity. Since 2001, the monastery saw a congregation of monks and in the last three years, the monastery is practicing the Maidar Ergekh ritual which is also called Maitreya circumambulation. (See Glossary). The year our team visited the site, the monastery had its Maidar Ergekh ritual on the 14th and 15th of June. About 4 – 5 children have been sent to Dashchoilan religious school in Ulaanbaatar to study Choir’s Philosophy. The Buddha Shakyamuni statue, the tutelary deity, and Kanjur and Tanjur text books are seen exalted at the altar of the current monastery whose name is Dechenchoilin.
Date of establishment of the monastery/temple :
1830
Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Revival of the old monastery/temple:
Yes
Registration number of the revived temple:
ЗАДР 072
Founder's name and title (if known):
Name and title : Баатархүү /багш/ Чимэд-Очир /лам явсан/ Хүрэлбаатар /Чимэд-Осорын хүү/ - Interview Number:
Date of Revival:
Monks in Old Temple :
not clear
Form Number :
ЗАШТ 063
Survey Team :
Team А