Bulag biluunii khural

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Bulag biluunii khural,Biluunii khiid,

Rinchen Number :
755

Rinchen Name :
Bulag biluunii khural

Type of Temple :
Monastic City

Aimag Temple located in :
Dundgovi

Sum Temple located in :
Olziit soum

Old Aimag Name :
Tusheet Khan

Old Sum Name :
Govi tushee gunii khoshuu

Description of location :
It is located 80 kilometers southwest of the sum centre.

GPS readings :
North 44° 26’  East 105°  52’

Revived temple on site :
No

Status of site at time of survey :
This monastic site is situated in a wonderful place, hidden behind rocks. The monastery stood on the bank of a river, which has now dried out. Three temples, made of blue brick, stood in the centre of the complex along with a group of 4 (?) stupas. A huge stupa stood in the northwest (of the site). Monks yurt residences surrounded the centre. As the dwellings were made of bricks and mud many walls remain (one being 3 meters high). Relic hunters have visited the place and dug many holes. Decorated terracottas and roof tiles, small images of Buddha, skulls, and newspapers from 1945 were found on the site. The site is situated on the bank of the river and there is still a source (rashaan) about 200m to the south. Behind the monastery there is a hill with many boards with number on them (32, etc.). Fragments of pots, kettles and other equipment, pieces of wood, blue bricks with different decorations were found near the temples. There is a small ovoo west of the complex. Small terracotta and metal fragments of buddhas, birds, horses, skulls, a small couch shell, vishvavajra decoration and other small artifacts were found collected in two piles. Pieces of newspapers (for example Zaluuchuudiin ünen from 1945) were found inside the ruins and maybe were used for burning the site. Bricks with jewel, Soyombo and other decorations, pieces of stupas are visible in the centre of the complex. Two new shelters are visible on the site.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :
Unknown

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1939 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:A 59

Old monastery/temple revived:
No

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):

Date of Reviving:

Monks in Old Temple :
30-40
30-40

Notes :
According to A. Sereeter old lady (born 1919), who visited the monastery when she was a child, Bilüünii khiid was a small monastery in the area and was closed around 1939. The monks were arrested. A zoch tantric master or gürten lived in or near the monastery. Data from the book ‘Ölziigöö Khairlasan Ölziit nutag mini’ Ulaanbaatar, 2004, p. 9.The head of this monastery was called Luvsanchimed.

Form Number :
ДУӨЗ 058

Survey Team :
Team C

Газрын зураг / Map

Site Plan

Site plan drawn by surveyors