Guchin jas

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Guchin jas,

Rinchen Number :
751

Rinchen Name :
Guchin jasyn khiid

Type of Temple :
Monastic City

Aimag Temple located in :
Dundgovi

Sum Temple located in :
Gurvan saikhan soum

Old Aimag Name :
Tusheet Khan

Old Sum Name :
Daichin beisiin khoshuu

Precis History(In Mongolian only):


Дундговь аймаг Өлзийт сум, Гучин жасын хурал Түшээт хан аймгийн Дайчин Бэйсийн хошууны Гучин жасын хурал хэмээх хурал номын газар нь одоогийн Өлзийт сумын нутаг Цагаан хошуу овоо гэдэг газар оршин тогтнож байжээ.Уг хурал байгуулагдсан тухай зарим мэдээ сурвалжид 1691 онд Дайчин бэйсийн хошууны 30 сумын тайж, ард нар хамтран хөрөнгө нийлүүлэн байгнуулж магтаал, ерөөл хангал зэрэг хурал тогтоож , гэр модон байшинтай нүүж явах байдлаар үүсгэсэн гэж тэмдэглэжээ. 20-р зууны эхээр цогчин, дүйнхор хоёр дацантай, Зая бандид хутагтын хүрээнээс авсан дэг жаягтай, 300-аад ламын данстай боловч сар жилийн дүйчэн хурлуудад 100-150 лам цуглаж хурдаг байжээ. Намрын эхэн сарын битүүнд майдар эргэдэг, майдрын дараа 45 хоногийн хайлан хурдаг. 19-р зууны сүүлч үеэс өмнө цам гардаг байсан боловч 1900-аад оноос хойш дахин цам дэглээгүй ажээ.Энэ хурал нь 20-р зууны эхэн үеийн улс орны цаг төрийн байдлаас шалтгаалж 1920-иод оны үед тарсан байна. Зарим мэдээ сурвалжид тэмдэглэснээр бол хурлыг удирдаж дааж байсан 30 сумын зарим тайж нар хурлын толгой лам нар урагшаа хил давж одсонтой холбоотойгоор энэ хурал 1930-аад оныг хүргэлгүй тарсан байж болох юм. Холбогдох эх сурвалж 1.Ч. Банзрагч, Б. Сайнхүү “ Монголын хүрээ хийдийн түүх”

Description of location :
The site is located 60 km north east of the soum center (60 km from Ulziit soum center) and is 15 km from Gurvansaikhan soum center.

GPS readings :
North 45° 21’  East 100°  00’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: 200 Side2: 150 Side3: Side4: Side5: Side6:

Revived temple on site :
No

Status of site at time of survey :
There are remains of the complex in four places on the site. In three, there are remains of walls made of bricks and mud. However, the real centre of the monastic site with two large temples is the fourth part that remains (see GPS). There are much evidence of treasure hunters digging among the residences, temples and stupas. Everyday objects, made of metal, are widely scattered in the area discarded by the diggers. Blue bricks, pieces of wood, tsatsas, various sacred objects and a small metal lion were found in this part of the complex. Monks residences surround the central part. There was a well on the southwest and there is still is an ovoo on the north. The remnants of the complex are visible in 4 different parts. The first one was most probably the centre, where 3-4 temples (one was made of blue bricks) and a big courtyard were situated. It seems that prayer wheels and dwellings of monks stood east of it. On the west of the center it seems that a complex of 3 stupas stood with monks residences and probably a temple in front of it. Traces of digging can be seen everywhere. Many fragments of vessels, pots, horse equipments and everyday items are scattered on the site. It seems that people came with metal detector to find artefacts. On the surface a small metal lion was found, which was probably a part of a stupa or a throne. It was taken by the monk, Enkhbayar of Idgaachoizinlin datsan of Gandan monastery, although the other team members asked him not to take it away. The second place where there is a temple made of blue brick is situated within a fence about 50m north of the first site (described above). Sections of the temple wall made of bricks and mud are visible from some distance away. Two square-shaped foundations lie on its east side. The third place, which is 50 m west of the first site, consists of traces a larger temple and a small foundation. Walls made of bricks and mud are visible from afar.The fourth place, which is around 50m from the third place consists of traces of monks residences and maybe some stupas. Again the walls of the monks dwellings, made of bricks and mud, are visible from some distance away. There is a well south of this part of the complex. An ovoo is situated on the top of the hill behind the complex. 2 or 3 roads cross the area of the monastic site going to the centre of Gurvan-Saikhan sum. Given the extent of the site, it could that this monastery once housed around 200-300 monks. It appears that relic hunters have not visited the parts 2, 3 and 4 of the complex.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :
Unknown

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1930 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:A 60
Огноо нураагдсан:: - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Old monastery/temple revived:
Yes

Revived temple register number:
ДУГС 051

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):
Нэр, цол хэргэм : Д.Гончигжав хамба лам - Ярилцлагын дугаар:
Нэр, цол хэргэм : М.Тавхай дэд лам - Ярилцлагын дугаар:
Нэр, цол хэргэм : А.Гэлцэндорж унзад - Ярилцлагын дугаар:
Нэр, цол хэргэм : Д.Дамбийням унзад - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Date of Reviving:
Year : 1990 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Monks in Old Temple :
200 monks
300 monks

Notes :
Attachments: Interview A60: According to U. Khüderchuluun, the vice abbot of Gandanchoinkhorlin monastery (ДУГС 051), which is in the centre of Gurvan-Saikhan sum, Guchin jas monastery had about 300 monks before the purges. The main protector deity of the monastery was Gombo. According to local people the monastery was famous about its flour. An iron incense-vessel which once belonged to Guchin jas monastery can be found in front of Gandanchoinkhorlin monastery. On the incense burner vessel there is a Tibetan inscription (verse). The round-shape symbol of the 10 Sanskrit letters (Nanjvandan) which once decorated Guchin jas, is now visible on the facade of Gandanchoinkhorlin temple. Data from the book ‘Gurvan Tsagiin Tüükhtei Gurvan Saikhan nutag mini’, by J. Sodnom, Ulaanbaatar, 2004 (pp. 32-33.) According to this book, there were 4 big temples in this monastery: Tsogchin, Düinkhor, Sakhius and Günreg. The Tsogchin temple had 18 pillars and was a two-storey building. The Düinkhor temple was not high but was big. Wood for building the temples was taken from Terelj Mountain. After the purges, the Tsogchin temple was used as a warehouse for wool and other raw materials, and the Düinkhor temple was used as a warehouse for other commercial goods. The people could enter the temple with their camels and unload the goods inside, as it was so big. The temple of Günreg, which was made of blue brick, was used as a shop (delgüür). The Sakhius temple was pulled down and the local club (sumiin klub) was built from the salvaged materials. There were three living areas (possibly aimags) on the three sides of the temples, the west, the east and the north (baruun, züün, khoid khüree), with streets between them. These had wooden and mud and brick buildings. There were about 150 buildings. There was also a quarter for Chinese who worked on construction.

Form Number :
ДУГС 050

Survey Team :
Team C

Газрын зураг / Map

Site Plan

Site plan drawn by surveyors