Suvargan jas

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Suvargan jas,

Rinchen Number :
0

Type of Temple :
Not Known

Aimag Temple located in :
Dundgovi

Sum Temple located in :
Baynjargalan soum

Old Aimag Name :
Tusheet Khan

Precis History(In Mongolian only):


Дундговь аймаг Баянжаргалан сум. Суварган жас Баянжаргалан сумын төвөөс хойш 12 км-т Суварган жас хэмээх цагийн хурал байжээ. Нэг суваргатай, Суварган жасын худаг нэртэй нэгэн худагтай, түүнийхээ дэргэд нэг чулуун дуган байсан байна. Энэ жасаа хурал нь 1900-аад оны эхээр анх байгуулагдан нутгийн сүсэгтэн олонд хаврын тэргүүн сар, зуны эхэн сарын дундуур , намрын эхэн сард тус бүр 7, 7 хоногийн хурлыг лам нар цуглаж хурдаг , бусад үед хуралгүй , зөвхөн тахилч лам л дуганыг сахиж байдаг байжээ. Энэ жасын тухай мөн Б. Ренчиний 1979 онд эрхлэн хэвлүүлсэн “БНМАУ-ын угсаатны зүйн атлас”-ын сүм хийдийн жагсаалтын бүртгэлд бүртгэгдээгүй байна. / Баянжаргалан сумын төв өндөр настан Маньбадар, өндөр настан Чимэддовдон, 2-р бригадын иргэн өндөр настан Долдон нартай хийсэн ярилцлагаас 2007.07.30/

Description of location :
The site is located 12 kilometers north of the sum centre.

GPS readings :
North 45° 51’  East 107°  56’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: У 40 Side2: Ө 30 Side3: Side4: Side5: Side6:

Revived temple on site :
No

Status of site at time of survey :
Remnants of a huge stupa made of stones are visible with a courtyard in front of it. The foundations of a yurt, a big courtyard, and two other stone building are visible on the site. There are many fragments of pots, etc., but due to the rainy weather these could be have been deposited by the nearby river. No trace of digging.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :
Unknown

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1939 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:A 64

Old monastery/temple revived:
No

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):

Date of Reviving:

Monks in Old Temple :
1 monk
Хэдэн лам энд тэндээс ирсэн
1 monk
Хэдэн лам энд тэндээс ирсэн

Notes :
Interview A66: According to T. Dovdondoo (born 1911) who has lived in the area for decades, about 500m from the monastic site, Suvargan jas had a stupa and a temple. Some monk gathered here from different monasteries. The monastery worshipped the clear waters of the Suvargiin bulag brook. According to the granddaughter of T. Dovdondoo a golden headless Buddha sculpture that had turned black, was honoured by local people at the ruins of the destroyed stupa. Then it was stolen. Since that time drought and harsh, cold winters have been frequent in the area. Interview A64: According to D. Manibadar (born 1931) Shurgan jas (supposedly the same as Suvargan jas) had one temple made of stones and one stupa. 1 monk was in charge of the monastery and lived there permanently.

Form Number :
ДУБЖ 070

Survey Team :
Team C

Газрын зураг / Map

Site Plan

Site plan drawn by surveyors