Dalai khiid

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Dalai khiid,Dalain khiid,

Rinchen Number :

Rinchen Name :
Dalain khural

Type of Temple :
Monastic City

Aimag Temple located in :

Sum Temple located in :
Olziit soum

Old Aimag Name :
Tusheet Khan

Old Sum Name :
Govi tushee gunii khoshuu

Precis History(In Mongolian only):

Дундговь аймаг Далайн хурал Өлзийт сумын төвөөс баруун урагш 110 км орчимд Хөнжлийн уулын өвөрт 5-6 дугантай, 50-70 лам суудаг хийд байжээ. Гол шүтээн нь Говийн Лха тахидаг, 21 баг бүхий цам гаргадаг / зуны эхэн сард / мөн зуны адаг сард ганжуур эргэдэг хурал байжээ. Далайн хурал нь үүсгэн байгуулагч тодорхойгүй , 18-р зууны сүүлч үеэр байгуулагдаад 1937 оны эхээр хаагджээ. Далайн хурлын ойролцоо Их хүрээ, Бээжингийн өртөө замын томоохон буудал / өртөө / байсан тул олны хөлийн газарт нилээд ойр байжээ. Зарим эх сурьалжид Далайн хурлыг өртөө хурал гэж тэмдэглэсэн байна. /Өлзийт сумын иргэн өндөр настан 89 настай Сэрээтэр гуайтай хийсэн ярилцлага/

Description of location :
Location is south of Khunjliin mountain and 110 kilometers southwest of the sum centre.

GPS readings :
North 44° 12’  East 106°  03’

Revived temple on site :

Status of site at time of survey :
The monastery was situated on a wonderful site stretching from the top of a hill to the bank of a river. Ruins of at least 5 temples, made of bricks, are visible and a group of 5 stupas, many jas courtyards, dwellings of monks, yurts, etc. The complex consisted of 3 larger parts: one on the top of the hill on the two sides of the ovoo, one north of it and the third one in the other bank of the river. The southwest part of the complex can be considered as a centre due to its large temple buildings, courtyards and the stupa complex. There is a hill with an ovoo behind it separating this part from the monks residences. Terracotta fragments (vajra, etc.), roof tiles, bricks, pot fragments were found on the place of the temples, tsats sacred objects near the stupas, and copper equipment in the residential area. The second part is situated north of the above-mentioned first part and consisted of residences. There is an ovoo to its north. These two parts were separated from each other by a beautiful source. There are many rocks and also caves in the area, where monks could meditate. The third part of the complex is on the other bank of the river. In this section, there was a temple with courtyards and monks residences in the northern part while in the southern part there was a courtyard and another temple about 60m south of it. Red and blue bricks, everyday equipment (pots, etc.) were found on this area. As Dalai means sea or ocean the name of the monastery is reflected in its wonderful location between springs and river (which dried out unfortunately). There is a wood on the west side where probably a box or a statue, sculpture was once hidden and later dug out. This site had to be that of a real monastery, separated from people on a pleasant site.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1939 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:A 59

Old monastery/temple revived:

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):

Date of Reviving:

Monks in Old Temple :

Notes :
According to A. Sereeter old lady (born 1919), who visited the monastery when she was a child, it was a big monastery consisted of 4 or 5 temples, like the main assembly hall (Tsogchin), Tara temple (Dari ekh), and Medical temple (Mamba). The temple buildings were made of brick (toipüü). About 100 monks belonged to the monastery. Tsam dance was not performed there, but a statue of Maitreya was circumambulated on the circumambulation path (goroo). The monastic site is on a place called Khönjil. The monasteries in this area were closed around 1939. The monks were arrested. Data from the book ‘Ölziigöö Khairlasan Ölziit nutag mini’ Ulaanbaatar, 2004, p. 93. According to this book, Dalai khiid was situated at Khönjil (Mountain). There were about 100 monks belonging here and also meditating here. There are still visible remnants of about 100 bigger and smaller buildings on the site. According to Maidar (591) 7 temples and 10 financial units (jas) belonged to the monastery.

Form Number :
ДУӨЗ 060

Survey Team :
Team C


Oral History :

Газрын зураг / Map

Site Plan

Site plan drawn by surveyors