Kharganatyn khiid

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Kharganatyn khiid,Kharganatyn khiid,

Rinchen Number :

Rinchen Name :
Kharaganatyn khiid, Khar soyony khuree

Type of Temple :
Monastic School

Aimag Temple located in :

Sum Temple located in :
Tsengel soum

Old Aimag Name :
Zasagt Khan

Old Sum Name :
Altain Uriankhain khoshuu / Zorigt gunii khoshuu

Description of location :
Kharganatiin temple was located at the northern edge of Tsengel Khairkhan mountain that extends from the Altain Mountain range. At present, the site is occupied by the 6th Brigade of Tsengel sum and has a few buildings surrounded by a mud fence. There is a guard who works during all four seasons. The river Kharganatiin Gol is about 2 km. wide, surrounded by 2 high mountains on both sides. The site base is a residential place for the locals during spring and winter. During the summer and autumn, these locals move to an area is 50 – 30 km. away from the site at nearby Kharganatiin Owoo. Tsengel Khairkhan is a magnificent mountain, permanently coated with snow and is a sacred mountain worshiped by ethnic groups of Tuva and Uriankhia. GPS given for Tsengel Sum centre

GPS readings :
North 48° 56’  East 089°  08’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: 12 Side2: 12 Side3: 17 Side4: 21 Side5: 14 Side6: 21

Revived temple on site :

Status of site at time of survey :
There are visible traces of the temple such as a base of 1 building, located south of 3 – 4 buildings that occupy an area north of the temple. Also there are two circular stone rims circling the bases of felt gers. These bases do not have flat surfaces but instead are slightly convexed in some or sunk elsewhere. Locals say that the smaller biuldings of Kharganatiin Soyonii Temple were built with bricks that were made of mud. In 1950, these smaller buildings were demolished and the materials were used in construction of the brigade centre’s buildings and fences. The bricks measure around 20 x 35 cm. and look handmade, judged by their rough design. The size of these bricks does not match with the modern brick standard. Furthermore, during the occupancy of the brigade centre, the site was also used as a landfill by the residents. Although these residuals are now disintegrating, the site is still unclean. To the west of the temple is a moldering owoo which was worshiped by the monks during Tsagaan Sar Festival. The locals believe that the temple Khar Soynii is an extension of the Sagsain Goliin temple. These days only a few residents of Khar Soyon Tribe are familiar with the temple Khar Soynii.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1938 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001 002
Огноо нураагдсан:: 1950 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001 002

Old monastery/temple revived:

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):
Нэр, цол хэргэм : - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Date of Reviving:
Year : - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Monks in Old Temple :
30 monks
30-40 monks
30 monks
30-40 monks

Notes :
1. The name, Kharganat’s Temple, is the commonly used name these days. Previously it was called Khar Soyo Temple or just Khar Soyonii by the locals. The name Kharganat is the name of a small river which streams into the river Khovdiin Gol and flows from the slope of Tsengel Khairkhan mountain. At present, the site is occupied by the 6th Brigade of Tsengel sum. Tuva and Uriankhia etnic groups still follow their customs of dwelling in this area. 6. 51, 21, 953 – These geographical coordinates mark the upper side of the temple base. 085, 18, 763 - These are the southern coordinates of the temple base.

Form Number :
БӨЦГ 081

Survey Team :
Team А

Газрын зураг / Map