Urianhain khuree

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Urianhain khuree,Mayagiin dugan,

Rinchen Number :

Type of Temple :
Monastic City

Aimag Temple located in :

Sum Temple located in :
Deluun soum

Old Aimag Name :
Zasagt Khan

Old Sum Name :
Altain khoshuu /Meeringiin khoshuu /

Description of location :
Two big rivers, Deluun and Buyant, flow at the north of the Khukh Serkhiin mountain ridge which is an extension of Mongolian Altai range. A wide valley, Khuisiin Khundii, stretches from the east to the west along the Deluun riverbank. The Khuisiin Khundii is pronounced Khiisiin Khundii by the ethnic Kazakhs who predominate in the area during summer and autumn. A short, knife-edged rock named Maayagiin Tolgoi stands northeast of the Takhilt Mountain. To the east of this rock is the temple site base and to its west is Khiisiin brigade centre. There are no sacred or worshiped places around which may have been forgotten if they existed. It has been 35 years since the ethic Uriankhais migrated from the area.

GPS readings :
North 47° 57’  East 090°  44’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: 15 Side2: 15 Side3: 10 Side4: 10 Side5: Side6:

Revived temple on site :

Status of site at time of survey :
On the flanks of a mountain and at the north of the Maya rock is the clearly visible temple site base. Recently Kazakhs have used the site base for their homestead, affecting the condition of the remains plus those who dwell by the riverbank dispose their residual waste by using the nearby landfill. The local residents advised of the importance of differentiating the original and new site bases. The original site base had a circular stone fence and, though covered in sand, it is still visible. There is also a circular shaped base to the west of the original temple base which could be the base of Mongol ger. No other area surrounding the temple base has traces of the original settlement.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1932 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001
Огноо нураагдсан:: 1933 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001

Old monastery/temple revived:

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):
Нэр, цол хэргэм : Zaya bandida Namkhaijamts - Ярилцлагын дугаар: 001

Date of Reviving:
Year : - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Monks in Old Temple :
not clear
not clear

Notes :
1. There is a religious temple base located nearby the rock Maya Tolgoi in the valley Khuisiin which is 18 km. northeast of the Deluun Sum centre, Bayan-Ulgii provice. The local Kazakh seniors called this site The Fiddle Temple of the Uriankhai’s. 2. The temple site is not mentioned in the list compiled by Prof. B.Rinchen. 7. A row of two bases, possibly of temples, measure some 10 x 10 m. and located north of a 15 x 15 m. sized big temple base on the slope a mountain. The total monastery site is around 400 x 200 m. 10. There is no information found on when this monastery was established. Most of the Altaic Uriankhias from this area migrated to China between 1930 to 1931. Elders from Kazhak communities mentioned that during the migration, altar items of the monastery was taken away by Uriankhias and silk and other fabrics from the monastery were laid out on the road. In 1932, Some of the migrants returned back to this area however they did not settle in the area for long moving to neighbouring sums such as Altantsugts, and Khovd’s Duut. During this period, the monastery was demolished and taken apart. The director of the Deluum sum school who is now 56 years old, Khuadkhaan recalls that during his youth, approximately 1960s, he was rewarded with candies by the local Mongolians in return for a brass Buddha statue, a hand bell, a dharma wheel and religious textbooks found from monastery site. Until the year 1974, a small number of Uriankhias of Altai were relocated from Deluun sum to Duut sum. Based on this research, there is no doubt about the existence of this monastery.

Form Number :
БӨДГ 086

Survey Team :
Team А

Газрын зураг / Map