Argalantyn khuree

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Argalantyn khuree,Khatavchiin khiid,Baruun argalantyn Khatavch khiid,

Rinchen Number :

Type of Temple :
Not Known

Aimag Temple located in :

Sum Temple located in :
Tudevtei soum

Old Aimag Name :
Zasagt Khan

Old Sum Name :
Tsogtoi vangiin khsoshuu

Description of location :
The site occupies land in a mountain range that has rich mossy plants. To the north of the historical site is a mountain range named Ar Jargalantiin Uuls, to the west is a mountain Tavan Khums Uul, to the east is a mountain Zuun Jargalantiin Uuls and to the south is a clear water spring named Uvur Bulag. The Jargalantiin Uuls mountain range extends in a half circle bordering the valley of Ar Jargalant and at the top of Uvur Bulag spring. There are no worshiped mountains or owoos and it does not have any homestead nearby.

GPS readings :
North 48° 13’  East 096°  56’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: 500 Side2: 500 Side3: 15:1 Side4: 8,10 Side5: :10, Side6: 11:1

Revived temple on site :

Status of site at time of survey :
From a distance the historical site can be easily overlooked. However, when visited, many remains are clearly visible: the site’s building bases, homestead bases, low rise hilltops, stone bases, traces of a fence, remnants from steel made items and livestock knucklebones. The site was once home to 4 temples enclosed by a fence which measures 40 m. in width and over 100 m. in length. Our guide, Munkh-Erdene; is being trained by the local seniors in locating this site. There was a row of 3 temple bases (all measure 10 x 10 m.) which is south of the main Tsogchen Dugana. The temple in the middle is built exactly opposite to the Tsogchen Dugana. Although some parts of these temple bases were sunk in or convexed, ashlars from the bases are clearly seen. To the south of the site is a lone building base which measures 11 x 11 m. and its traces indicate that the building had a few rooms. To the southeast is a small, stone building base measuring 4 x 5 m. and to its west is a 6 m in diameter ger base. It is believed that many monks used to cook in this place. To the northwest of the main temple, in an upper side-valley of Tavan Khumst Mountain, is a 1.2 m tall board which was built in memory of Bandid Gegeen – Jigmedjantsan Choidog, 1846 – 1864. After investigation, our team has found out that Jigmedjantsan Choidog was born in an area nearby the site and was chosen to be the incarnated one from an area called Tudevtei. Some believe that the Gegeen studied at the Argalantiin Khatavchiin Monastery. North of the site location is an area that was home to monks’ dwellings and there are traces of a district for poor people who dwelt along the outskirts of the monastery. The monastery traces are just visible.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1937 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:003

Old monastery/temple revived:

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):
Нэр, цол хэргэм : Manjiin ezen khaan - Ярилцлагын дугаар: 003

Date of Reviving:

Monks in Old Temple :
about 100 monks
about 100 monks

Notes :
1. Locals are well aware of the Baruun Argalantiin Khatavchiin Monastery, located in the mountain range northwest of Tudevtei sum centre in Zavkhan province. This site is easily accessed by car. 2. There is no record of this monastery in the list compiled by Prof. B. Rinchen. Although the locals refer to it as a monastery, it is not clear exactly what kind of religious organization occupied the site. In any case, it was a smaller establishment that was once home to monks who practiced Buddhism.

Form Number :
ЗАТТ 036

Survey Team :
Team А

Түвдэнгийн Бадамсэд

Oral History :


Oral History :

Газрын зураг / Map

Site Plan

Site plan drawn by surveyors