Mogoin khuree

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Mogoin khuree ,Javryn gol ,

Rinchen Number :

Rinchen Name :
Buyantyn khuree, Darkhan beisiin khuree, Choikhorlin

Type of Temple :
Monastic School

Aimag Temple located in :

Sum Temple located in :
Tsetseg soum

Old Aimag Name :
Zasagt Khan

Old Sum Name :
Mani gunii khoshuu

Precis History(In Mongolian only):

Ховд аймгийн Цэцэг сум. Буянтын хүрээ / Дархан бэйсийн хүрээ/ Хуучин Засагт хан аймгийн Дархан засаг Тэргүүн зэрэг тайж Доржжанцангарамжавын хошуу одоогийн Цэцэг сумын нутаг буянт голд цогчин хурлын дацан сургуулийг 1761 онд Засаг Тэргүүн зэргийн тайж Шагдаржавын үед байгуулжээ. Дараа нь хайлан хурлыг 1846 онд Засаг тэргүүн зэргийн тайж Норовжалын үед байгуулсан байна. Буянтын хүрээ хэмээн нэрлэгдсэн энэ хурлын газар нь 20-р зууны эхээр 3-4 сүм дугантай, 60-аад лам байнга сууж хурдаг байнгын хурал бүхий жижиг хийд байжээ. Лхам сахиустай энэ хийдийг Чойнхорлин хэмээн нэрлэдэг байв. 1920-иод оноос хойш хурал номын байнгын ажиллагаа нь тасалдаж зөвхөн зун намрын улиралд дүйчэн өдрүүдээр цагийн хурал хурж байгаад 1932 оны үед бүрэн хаагджээ.

Description of location :
The monastic city is located on the shore of a small river, Mogoin Gol, which streams through the Mongol Altai mountains. This area was occupied by the first agricultural unit (negdel) of Tsetseg sum which later moved to the sum and brigade centers. Currently there are no traces from the Mogoi Khuree (The Monastic city of Mogoi). The site has a few buildings which are used for storage by the locals. There are winter and autumn quarters.

GPS readings :
North 46° 17’  East 093°  21’

Revived temple on site :

Status of site at time of survey :
The area once inhabited by the Mogoin Khuree has numerous mud buildings and storage houses used by locals, and other buildings built during the communist period including administration halls of the brigade and sum centers. Because these were built on the base of the Mogoin Khuree, much of what was built during khuree period is obscured. However, there is a base of an old building on an embankment edge to the northeast of the khuree. Also in the middle of the site is an old base, a small building base, remnants of a fence, and broken pieces of an cast iron cauldron. We have taken the photos of these sites as much as possible. Our guide Dagva showed us a base of the main Tsogchen Dugan which he heard of being there. The main Tsogchen Dugan looks like it consisted of two separate buildings or a merge of two buildings. Also next to the main Tsogchen Dugan floor 6 wood remnants are buried that could have been of a small temple.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1938 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001
Огноо нураагдсан:: 1950 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001

Old monastery/temple revived:

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):

Date of Reviving:

Monks in Old Temple :
200 monks
200 monks

Notes :
1. Locals call this site Mogoi Goliin Khuree (The Monastic City of Mogoi River). The name could have originated from the fact that it is located on the western shoreline of Mogoi Gol. Lately, it is also called Mogoin Gol Shavar Shavariin Khuree (The Mogoi River Mud, the Monastic City of Mud) referring to the river shore on which the site is located and remnants of mud buildings. 2. Prof.B.Rinchen recorded this site with a name “Buyantiin Khuree” or “Darkhan Beisiin Khuree Choinkhorlon” located on the shoreline of Buyant River in Tsetseg sum. However there is no river called Buyant in Tsetseg sum. Therefore, he could have been referring to the old Tsetseg sum land or confused it with the Mogoin Khuree. The current Tsetseg Sum is known to have only one monastery city base “Mogoin Khuree”. The Mogoin Khuree had branched out from the old Tonkhiliin Khuree in the Tonkhil sum of Govi-Altai province, located in a place called Urgun Shireg where a base of “Khuitanii” temple is found. Monks used to practice changing at the Khuitanii temple during summer. 7. The whole historic site measures 150 x 260 m. 11. Locals confirm that the Mogoin Khuree was closed in 1938 and its temple buildings were intact and functioning until the mid of 1950s. 13. No one is sure when the Khuree branched out from Tonkhiliin khuree and how many monks dwelt at the site. The rough estimate is that about 200 monks resided there. 15. Currently a new temple is being constructed in the Tsesteg sum centre with donations from locals and those who migrated to Ulaanbaatar. It is said to open in September. Our team took a photo of the building in process.

Form Number :
ХОЦЦ 103

Survey Team :
Team А

Газрын зураг / Map