Gembellen khuree

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Gembellen khuree,Delgeriin khuree,

Rinchen Number :

Type of Temple :
Monastic School

Aimag Temple located in :

Sum Temple located in :
Darvi soum

Old Aimag Name :
Zasagt Khan

Old Sum Name :
Delgeriin khoshuu

Description of location :
There are now no traces left from the Delger Khuree site. The Khuree had some buildings made from wood and some ger dwellings for the resident monks. Informants told us that khuree was built in a line of buildings located on a narrow embankment. The historical size of the site is roughly measured to be 500 x 1000 m.

GPS readings :
North 46° 48’  East 093°  38’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: 1000 Side2: 300 Side3: Side4: Side5: Side6:

Revived temple on site :

Status of site at time of survey :
There are no clear traces left from the Delger Khuree site. The site is located on a river embankment which on the sandy slopes of Khuree Gembellen mountain. The location is eroded by sand movement and any remnants from the site are disappearing. According to our guide, Sh.Amgalanbaatar, around the 1950s the whole of Delger Khuree was dismantled and it was taken over by the sum center’s establishment. Much of what remained from the Delger Khuree was used for winter fuel. It is also noted that during 1967 – 1968, some of the temple’s pillars and beams were discovered by kids who were playing around the area. Currently, there is nothing that could be from the Delger Khuree except a mound of stones stacked in one area. Following the elderly monk guidance, we have located at least two areas where dirt mounds were shoveled by those who rummaged the area for religious altar items. The locals know a lot about the Delger Khuree.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1938 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001
Огноо нураагдсан:: 1950 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001

Old monastery/temple revived:

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):
Нэр, цол хэргэм : Unknown - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Date of Reviving:

Monks in Old Temple :
600 monks
600 monks

Notes :
1. Locals know the name Delger Khuree very well. Some old people call it Gembellen Monastery. A small river that comes from the northeastern summit of Sutai Mountain is called Delger’s River. The name comes from its location i.e. on the route passing the main low gorge and on the eastern establishment. Northeast of the Khuree is a bare lofty mountain, Gembi Bogd Uul, which has red stone-filled soil with no grass or trees. Thus, the Gembellen Monastery name is also inspired by the mountain behind the site location. 5. Worshiping the northeastern Gembe Bogd Uul is a tradition among the locals of Darvi. It has also been said that there are about 108 spring streams from the passage of Gembe Bogd Uul. A spring comes from the inner western slopes of Gembi Bogd Mountain and around this area on the upper side of the Khuree base is an owoo made from small stones and next to the owoo is a garagana bush which has khadags tied into it – a sign of worship. Locals believe that the spring water is good for stomachache and drink it every morning. About 1 km. southeast of the historic site is the centre of Delger brigade. 11-13. It is unknown when Delger monastic city was established and how many monks resided at the site. There is a general knowledge amongst the locals that the monastic city was the biggest in the land of Darvi, during the purge numerous monks were arrested who were later tied to each others like sheep and shot dead, and the monastic city was home to 600 monks before its closure.

Form Number :
ХОДР 105

Survey Team :
Team А

Ширчингийн Сономцэрэн

Oral History :

Газрын зураг / Map