Monchaagiin khuree

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Monchaagiin khuree,Dashdechlen khiid,

Rinchen Number :
4

Rinchen Name :
Monchaag khuree, Uriankhain Zorigt gungiin khiid-Dashdechlen

Type of Temple :
Monastic School

Aimag Temple located in :
Bayan-Ölgii

Sum Temple located in :
Tsengel soum

Old Aimag Name :
Zasagt Khan

Old Sum Name :
Zorigt gunii khoshuu

Precis History(In Mongolian only):


Баян өлгий аймгийн Цэнгэл сум. Шинэ Рашдэчин хийд Хуучин Урианхайн Зоригт гүний Дашдэчлин хийд буюу Мончоогын хүрээний хурал номыг сэргээн 2005 оны 5-р сарын 11-нд Цэнгэл сумын төвд үүсж байгуулагдсан.Гэлүгбагийн урсгалын энэ хийдийг иргэн Ө.Амархүү, Ш.Цэрвээ, Ө.Гэндэн нарын үүсгэл санаачилга сүсэгтэн олны дэмжлэгээр байгуулагджээ.Хийдлийн улсын бүртгэлийн регистрийн дугаар 1044656.Хуучин сумын Худалдаа бэлтгэлийн ангийн барааны агуулах байсан байшинг засварлан тохижуулж хурал хурж байгаа бөгөөд шинээр Цогчин дуган баригдаж байна.Одоо 2 ламтай бөгөөд сар бүрийн дүйцэн өдрүүдэд Ерөөл, Магтаал, Манал, Дарь-Эхийн мандал шваа уншдаг бөгөөд 29-нд Лхам сахиусаа тахина.Одоогоор эдэлбэр газар бүхий хашаатай болсон байна. /Тус хийдийг үүсгэн байгуулагч Цэнгэл сумын 5-р багийн иргэн Ө.Амархүү сүсэгтэн Х.Хөхөө нартай хийсэн ярилцлагаас/

Description of location :
Monchoogiin Temple of the Zorigt Gunii Khoshuu (The Brave Duke’s Barren) is on the shoreline of the Khovd River which flows from the Altai Mountain range. B.Rinchen listed this temple as on the Kharganatiin River, which flows 1 km. west of the temple site and reaches its confluence with the river Khovd. Thus the temple is on the bank of two rivers. Or more appropriately, this historical site is located on the shoreline of Khovd river and on the bank of the two rivers Khovd and Kharganat. At the time this research was conducted, the site was occupied by Tsengel sum centre, Bayan-Ulgii province. The Tsengel sum is populated by 11,000 residents and is one of the relatively big sums.

GPS readings :
North 48° 56’  East 089°  08’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: 13 Side2: 10 Side3: 10 Side4: 10 Side5: Side6:

Revived temple on site :
Yes

Status of site at time of survey :
On this historical site, the main temple building remain undemolished. This building (13m. long, 10m. wide) was used as an inventory by a Tsengel sum’s trading company between 1950s and 1990. The walls of the buildings are constructed of wood and covered in mud compound. When it was first built, it had a stairway and two floors which later had the top floor dismantled and a rooftop was built over the first floor. The exterior of the temple is deteriorated and the place is in need of restoration by recycling the sturdy construction materials such as the floor, pillars and roof tops. There is an old construction of a temple in Bayan-Ulgii province. The Mochoogiin Temples were built on both side of this old temple and when the the Mochoogiin temples were demolished, logs from the demolition were transported to the Bayan-Ulgii province centre through the Khovd river. There is a pit remaining measuring some 2 m. in depth and 3 x 4 m.in size and there are traces of blue mountain stones which were embedded on the bottom of the pit, east of the old temple. Elderly locals say that the pit had stored ghee for butterlamps. Next to the temple site, in 1 km. there used to be an owoo which was worshiped by monks.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :
1800
1870

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1938 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001
Огноо нураагдсан:: 1950 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001

Old monastery/temple revived:
Yes

Revived temple register number:
БӨЦГ 082

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):
Нэр, цол хэргэм : Degee teacher - Ярилцлагын дугаар: 001
Нэр, цол хэргэм : Mr javkhaldaa - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Date of Reviving:
Year : 2005 оны 5-р сарын 11-нд - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Monks in Old Temple :
about 120 monks
120 monks

Notes :
1. The local indigenous people, Uriankhais and Tuvan people, called their own temples as “Monchoogoo Temple” and “Dashdechlen”. The one called Monchoogiin was located in the Zorigt Guniin Barren and was the biggest compared to those found in the area. 2. In the list compiled by Prof.B.Rinchen, the above-mentioned temple was called Dashdechlen. 7. It was impossible to come up with an exact measurement of the total site because the Monchoogiin Temple site base is now occupied by Tsengel sum centre establishments. The locals believe, based on the building remains, that the monastery was divided into three main parts, western quarter, centre and eastern quartet temple sites. We have measured two of these site except the western quarter on which there are buildings from the current settlement.

Form Number :
БӨЦГ 080

Survey Team :
Team А

Газрын зураг / Map

Site Plan

Site plan drawn by surveyors