Zostyn khuree

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Zostyn khuree,Sagsain khuree,

Rinchen Number :
6

Rinchen Name :
Sagsain khuree

Type of Temple :
Monastic School

Aimag Temple located in :
Bayan-Ölgii

Sum Temple located in :
Sagsai soum

Old Aimag Name :
Zasagt Khan

Old Sum Name :
Itgemjit beisiin khoshuu

Precis History(In Mongolian only):


Баян өлгий аймгийн Сагсай сум. Сагсайн хүрээ Сагсайн хүрээ анх Шинжааны нутагт үүсээд удалгүй ХШ жарны модон мичин жил /1764 он/ Алтайн цаанаас нүүж Монголын нутагт ирээд түүнээс хойш 123 жилийн турш малчин ардуудыг дагаж нүүж явжээ.ХҮ жарны гал гахай жил /1887 он/ Сагсайн голд 30 жангийн сүм барьж хүрээг суурьшуулав.Энэ үед тус хүрээ 80 орчим лам хуврагтай байв.Гал луу жил /1916 он/ Да лам Жамба засаг ноён Нацагдорж нар 9 жангийн сүм барьж 160 гаруй лам нартай болжээ.1930 оны үед 300 гаруй лам хуврагтай байв.Сагсайн хүрээ хилийн чанадад 1763 онд үүссэнээс хойш 175 жилийн ой нь 1939 онд болжээ...” хэмээн бичсэн байна.1990 онд Буянт сумын төвд Сагсайн хүрээний хурал номыг сэргээн Рашчойлин нэртэй хийдийг байгуулжээ. Да лам Жамбаа-Сагсай хүрээний тэргүүн лам асан Засаг ноён Нацагдорж-Алтайн урианхайн итгэмжит гүн. 1914-1922 онд хошууг захирж явсан /Баян өлгий аймгийн ЗДТГ-ын ажилтан Г.Батсүхтэй хийсэн ярилцлагаас 2007.07.19/

Description of location :
Sagsain temple base is located on the shore of Sagsain River, one of the many rivers flowing from the Mongolian Altai Mountain Ridge. This was the main temple amongst the barren of the Confidential State of the Altaic Uriankhias. On the shoreline of the Sagsai river are Altai, Buynt and Sagsai sums of Buyan-Ulgii province(sum centres). Eventually the Zogst brigade centre of the Sagsai sum settled on the reclaimed land of the temple site. Between 1970 – 1980, a hospital run by general practitioners served the 1st and 2nd brigade centres. The buildings from the brigade centre were located on the upperside of the temple centre. It is now guarded and used as a winter-quarter. During summertime, to the south of the temple site is a kids’ summer vacation site called Zostiin Zuslan. The locals not aware of any worshiped mountains or rivers.

GPS readings :
North 48° 43’  East 089°  31’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: 300 Side2: 400 Side3: 20: Side4: :21 Side5: Side6:

Revived temple on site :
No

Status of site at time of survey :
Traces of the Sagsain temple base, especially constructions of the temples, a fence imprint and their remains - dirt and stones - are visibly seen because the reclaimed site land is not fully covered. The remains of beautifully embedded stones laid out like a floor are found south of the temple site. The setting of the stones illustrates the way some of the temple bases were constructed. A few items such as building bricks and small ashlars used in the setting of the road are found. They can be clearly seen close-up. The foundation of a building south of the temple is dug out and stones and bricks excavated out.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :
1763

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1937 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001
Огноо хаагдсан: 1938 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001
Огноо нураагдсан:: 1950 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001
Огноо нураагдсан:: 1940 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001

Old monastery/temple revived:
Yes

Revived temple register number:
БӨБТ 085

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):
Нэр, цол хэргэм : King of Manj - Ярилцлагын дугаар: 001

Date of Reviving:
Year : 1990 оны 6 сар - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Monks in Old Temple :
over 300 monks
over 300 monks

Notes :
1. Local Uriankhais of Altai had named this site Sagsain Temple which was later re-named Zostiin khuree by the local Kazakhs who migrated into the area. A river, Sagsain Gol, flows into the Khovd River flowingn from the Siilkhen, an extension of the Mongolian Altai mountain range. This version is correct. The name Zostiin Khuree, given by the Kazakhs, was originated from the fact that the Zost brigade of the Sagsai sum was set up on the temple base. The temple site is therefore located on the shoreline of Sagsain River. Over time, the local Kazakhs grew in numbers and at present make up 95 % of the local population. 7. The total size of the historical site is around 500 x 800 m /including the dwellings of monks, temples and fences/ based on our calculation of the fence which encloses the site. Also those temples that are bigger in comparison to the others were called “The biggest”. 11. Bayan-Ulgii province was established in 1940 and during the end of 1960 and the beginning of 1950, the Khovd river was a route to transport the remaining logs from the demolished temple buildings which were recycled in the making of a provincial museum located in the Ulgii town. Also some of the logs were used in the construction of Zost’s children’s summer camp. 15. T.Batsukh /listed BUUKH-078/ and our team have attached a leaflet of Sagsai temple which contains a hand – painted map / and notes taken from oral history.

Form Number :
БӨСС 079

Survey Team :
Team А

Газрын зураг / Map

Site Plan

Site plan drawn by surveyors