Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Khuiten,Khuitengiin khuree ,Gandanshadivlin khiid,

Rinchen Number :

Rinchen Name :
Khuitnii khuree /khuitnii urtuu khural/

Type of Temple :
Not Known

Aimag Temple located in :

Sum Temple located in :

Old Aimag Name :
Tusheet Khan

Description of location :
Local people showed us the place named Khuiten. Khuiten is in the place named Yargait. According to Maidar it is located near the river Baidrag. Note: The names, given by Rinchen contradict. A khuree and urtuu khural are totally different arrangements.

GPS readings :
North 45° 51’  East 101°  50’

Revived temple on site :

Status of site at time of survey :
The place, shown by Dondov, local man, is situated close to Yargaitiin urtuu khural (ӨХХД 048). The place is called Khuiten (cold), but as the whole territory of Yargait is covered in large rocks, the exact site of the monastery was not found. There was no trace of a monastery on the site shown to us. Today there is winter residence/dwelling.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :
1726 (according to Maidar 700)

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: Unknown - Ярилцлагын дугаар:
Огноо нураагдсан:: - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Old monastery/temple revived:

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):
Нэр, цол хэргэм : - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Date of Reviving:
Year : - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Monks in Old Temple :
600 (according to Maidar 700)

Notes :
The two monastery types (Khuree and urtuu khural) listed for this site by Rinchen suggest two totally different monastic arrangements. While upwards of a thousand monk can live in khuree, usually only about 10-20 monks belong to urtuu khural (relay station or assembly). Presumably as its place indicates, it was an urtuu khural and is why nobody knows about it. The temple seems to be situated on the urtuu route of Rinchen 824, 826, 825. These urtuu places are about 30 km from each other, with each having only a few monks. Maidar lists Khuitengiin khuree (No 700) as well, which was situated near Baidragiin gol, river. According to him this monastic site was established in 1726 and was called Gandanshadavlin khiid. 5 temples and 600 lamas belonged to the complex. Local people haven`t heard about this complex neither in the soum, nor in the aimag, where the biggest monastic sites are well known. The place, which was shown to the researchers by Dondov is not too far from the Yargait urtuu relay station. The place called Khuiten is in an area crowded by rocks. It is not logical to cross on this area on a fast horse towards another relay station. According to Dondov, there are an assembly there, but today there is a winter dwelling and nothing else. All in all, the place could not been a khuree, maybe was an urtuu khural, or maybe not. Perhaps there is another place called Khuiten but local people who we asked had not heard about it. Baidragiin gol was not known by them. According to Maidar, there were 5 temples.

Form Number :
ӨХХД 049

Survey Team :
Team D

Газрын зураг / Map

Site Plan

Site plan drawn by surveyors