Khadatyn urtuu sum

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Khadatyn urtuu sum,Ulaan lamyn khiid,Baruun khural,

Rinchen Number :

Rinchen Name :
Khadatyn urtuu khural /baruun khural/

Type of Temple :

Aimag Temple located in :

Sum Temple located in :
Taragt soum

Old Aimag Name :
Sain Noyon

Old Sum Name :
Uizen Vangiin khoshuu

Description of location :
The site is located in front of the Tsagaan Khairkhan mountain, 20Km from Arvaikheer city.

GPS readings :
North 46° 00’  East 102°  39’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: У100 Side2: Ө100 Side3: Side4: Side5: Side6:

Revived temple on site :

Status of site at time of survey :
Presently a new temple is situated in a fenced-off courtyard, within some stone foundations of old square-shaped buildings, yurts and stupa(s). Some pillar bases and copper fragments were found in the area. A large mountain is situated behind the old complex. Next to the (new) temple, which is not a good state of repair and seems to be not visited at all, is a new wooden building. Behind the courtyard there is a large ovoo.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: - Ярилцлагын дугаар:
Огноо нураагдсан:: 1937 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:A 21

Old monastery/temple revived:

Revived temple register number:
ӨХТР 045

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):
Нэр, цол хэргэм : unknown - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Date of Reviving:
Year : 1991 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Monks in Old Temple :
50 monks
100 monks

Notes :
According to Samdandamba monk, who once belonged to Ulaan lamiin khiid (from his 8 years of age), about 20 monks belonged to this monastery. Two wooden temples were situated inside a wooden fenced-off courtyard. Damdin Choijoo was the main protector deity of the monastery. Texts of the wrathful protectors were recited. Samdandamba monk seems to talk about Arvaikheeriin khüree, when he told that Maitreya and Kanjuur circumambulation were held, and oath-taking period (khailen) was held as well. In spite of the fact that Samdandamba monk said that he is 120 years old (although he is about 80) and said that the monastery was not destroyed at all, the above-mentioned information seems to be true. The arrangements of buildings confirms his statements. Probably beside the Tsogchin temple, not a philosophical monastic school, but the temple of wrathful deities was situated, which is more usual. According to Ganzayaa, the lovon of Gandanpuntsoglin monastery, Arvaikheer, about 100 monks belonged to the complex. According to Rinchen and Maidar it was an örtöö khural, i.e. a temple on a relay station. The map shown to the surveyors in the Museum of Övörkhangai aimag in Arvaikheer, there were two different temples marked with similar names: 1. Baruun khural or Tsagaan khilengiin khiid, and 2. Khadatiin süm. According to the Övörkhangai aimgiin toli (p. 250.) Gandanshadavlin khiid was founded in 1764 on the hillside (öwör) of Tsagaan khilen Khairkhan. It had 3 fierceful protectors, three wealthy financial units (jas). The complex was known as Baruun khiid (Western monastery) by people. This small monastery and its artifacts were destroyed and annihilated during the purges and its monks were arrested and executed.

Form Number :
ӨХТР 043

Survey Team :
Team D

Газрын зураг / Map

Site Plan

Site plan drawn by surveyors