Zeerengiin sum

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Zeerengiin sum,Zeerengiin khiid,

Rinchen Number :
854

Rinchen Name :
Zeerengiin khiid

Type of Temple :
Monastic City

Aimag Temple located in :
Ovorhangai

Sum Temple located in :
Sant soum

Old Aimag Name :
Tusheet Khan

Description of location :
The site is located in the place called Domdon Zeeren.

GPS readings :
North 45° 49’  East 103°  54’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: У160 Side2: Ө150 Side3: Side4: Side5: Side6:

Revived temple on site :
No

Status of site at time of survey :
Many brick and mud remarks of walls and foundations are visible on the site. Lion and dragon ornament of roof, soyombo symbols, and fragments of pots were found. Relic hunter visited the pace and dug in the main assembly hall and other places 2 or 3 years ago according to a local shepherd. Arrangement of temples and courtyards of monks’ residence is quite clear. Stoves for burning bricks and terracotta are situated northeast of the complex. It seems that a stupa stood on the south of the complex. Three large temples were situated in the centre, the biggest one in the middle. A storage formation is visible in front of it on the ground. Monks’ fenced-off residences surrounded the three main temples. It seems that a huge stupa stood southeast of the main temple. Relic hunters dug inside the main temple, where many layers of bricks are visible. Fragments of 3-4 soyombo symbols, made of terracotta r mud were found on the site. Large burning stoves were situated 50 m northeast of the complex. A board indicates that the site is listed under the number 5 in the aimag or sum. In the centre of Sant sum a lady, called Doljin is living, who was the wife of Sampel gelen, who was a fully-ordained monk of Zeerengiin khiid. He was arrested in the 1930s but could come back to Sant. Then, he married Doljin. Unfortunately during the survey team visit Doljin was in Ulaanbaatar.

Site used for other purpose :
There is a board remount of Zeerengiin khiid №5. Based a which we suppose that the site is under protection a at evit is evited as a historical site.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :
1780

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо нураагдсан:: 1937-1938 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Site used for other purpose :
There is a board remount of Zeerengiin khiid №5. Based a which we suppose that the site is under protection a at evit is evited as a historical site.

Old monastery/temple revived:
No

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):

Date of Reviving:

Monks in Old Temple :
300 lama, monks
100 lama, monks

Notes :
Data gained from an interview with one of its old monks, Yondon Jamba (born 1912). He belonged to Lamrim datsan in Ulaanbaatar after 1990. The interview was made in 2006 March by Krisztina Teleki and Zsuzsa Majer. During the survey period in 2007 he could not be interviewed again as he died in between. Yondon Jamba became a monk at the age of 5 in Zeerengiin khüree in the present Sant sum in Övörkhangai. In 1925 (at the age of 13) he went to Ikh Khüree where he joined Dashchoimbel datsan and lived in Düinkhor aimag. Therefore, he was in Zeerengiin khüree between 1917-1925. At that time, according to him it had about 300 monks, and 5-6 temples, 3 of them bigger ones. There were the following temples: Zurkhai datsan, Tsogchin dugan, Choiriin datsan, Lamrim datsan, Zurkhai datsan, Düinkhor datsan. The philosophical monastic school (Choir datsan) followed the Günchin igchaa manual. The main deities of the monastery were Jamsran, Lkham, and Gombo. According to him there were also 5-6 stupas there. The monastery owned the volumes of the Ganjuur and Danjuur. Three financial units (jas) belonged to the monastery: Tsogchin jas, Lamrim jas, Choiriin jas. The monks lived around the monastery in their yurts and wooden houses. The monastery buildings were made of bricks and mud. Apart from the everyday readings the following ceremonies were held: Maaniin büteel on the 8th of the first summer month, Arvan khangal for 7 days from the 23rd of the last winter month. Magtaal for 7 days in Spring, in the 3rd month. The Tsam dance was held here, on the 1-3rd of the first summer month, after the Maitreya circumambulation (Maidar ergekh). The ten wrathful protector deities, the 21 Black Hat dancers (shanag) participated for example. The Ganjuur ergekh ceremony (circumambulating the monastery with the volumes of Ganjuur) was held in the middle spring month. The summer retreat Khailen was also held, with the participation of about 200 monks. There were also ceremonies on other great monthly days, like the annual commemoration of Tsongkhapa’s death (zuliin 25). There were no zoch monks in or around the monastery, and neither nuns. The Tsogchin temple was a big building with three storeys. According to the Övörkhangai aimgiin Toli 3 temples belonged to the complex (p. 233.)

Form Number :
ӨХСТ 061

Survey Team :
Team C

Газрын зураг / Map

Site Plan

Site plan drawn by surveyors