Sairyn khashaat

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Sairyn khashaat,

Rinchen Number :
828

Rinchen Name :
Sair khashaatyn khural

Type of Temple :
Not Known

Aimag Temple located in :
Ovorhangai

Sum Temple located in :
Bogd soum

Old Aimag Name :
Tusheet Khan

Description of location :
The site is located in the place called Sairyn khashaat. To the west of the site is Bulgan mountain.

GPS readings :
North 44° 34’  East 102°  58’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: У100 Side2: Ө100 Side3: Side4: Side5: Side6:

Revived temple on site :
No

Status of site at time of survey :
Foundations of some square-shaped buildings and 3 stupas inside a fenced-off courtyard are visible. Fragments of a trumpet (büree), offering cups and fragments of vessels were found. A mantra written in white stones and pebbles was arranged on the ground but the letters cannot be made out. The composition of 13 ovoos is arranged south-west of the complex. There is a well east of the complex. Sanjmyatav monk came here to search for and save objects of worship and artefacts. He established the new temple in the centre of Bogd and the relics were placed in the stupa.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :
unknown

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: unknown - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Old monastery/temple revived:
No

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):

Date of Reviving:

Monks in Old Temple :
few monks
few monks

Notes :
According the Güüsenkhorol, who visited the monastery, when he was a child, it was a small monastery (khiid) with some monks, mainly young novices. There was only one temple, made of bricks. The area was not fenced off. There were stupas as well. On the field it seems there were a square shaped temple and maybe a yurt-shaped temple in a fenced-off courtyard. On its east side square shaped foundations are visible. Behind the temple 3 stupas stood once within a fence. On the west side of the temple there are some foundations as well. The ovoo, being worshipped by monks is situated southwest of the complex. The well where the monks got water from is situated east of the complex. According to local people Taliin Lam Sanjmyatav came to the area to save artefacts from the old destroyed complex. Today the artefacts are kept in the new temple in Bogd sum and its stupas. According to Chimedsüren, who was born in 1932, Dorj gelen and Amgalan taij prince were arrested and executed, as well as other monks from the monastery. In 1937-38 the monastery was not survived, but then with the leadership of Tserenpuntsog, who was a hero of work (khödölmöriin baatar) everything was destroyed. Sanjmyataw came here to save artefacts and wanted to revive the monastery but he died unfortunately.

Form Number :
ӨХБД 055

Survey Team :
Team C

Газрын зураг / Map

Site Plan

Site plan drawn by surveyors