Uvgun datsan

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Uvgun datsan ,Golyn datsan,

Rinchen Number :

Rinchen Name :
Uvgun datsan, Golyn datsan, Dondovgandanlin, Tugdengandanpeljeelin

Type of Temple :
Monastic School

Aimag Temple located in :

Sum Temple located in :
Myangad soum

Old Aimag Name :
Zasagt Khan

Old Sum Name :
Khovdyn khyzgaar / Myangadyn khoshuu

Description of location :
The site is located in the Khan Khukhiin mountains that extend from the Mongol Altai mountain range. In the east of the Khan Khukhiin range is the river Khovd. The Altan Khukhiin summit is located 20 km. from the site base and is worshiped by the Mongolian state government. Closest to the site is the Myangad sum centre 46 km. away. The Uvgun religious school base is located on the shore of lake Zeeren on Bayangol brigade land of the Myangad sum. The site is occupied by herders during summer and autumn. There are a small number of winter-quarters on the slopes of the Khan Khukhiin mountain.

GPS readings :
North 48° 37’  East 091°  53’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: 400 Side2: 250 Side3: 14 Side4: 14 Side5: Side6:

Revived temple on site :

Status of site at time of survey :
The whole site size is 450 m in length and 250 in width. These dimensions could be not exact as the site base is located on slopes which makes the measuring job difficult. There is no trace of any building or ger outside the monastic city area. In the last couple of years, the site base has experienced flood water coming through the middle of the site base, particularly in 2 areas. This created a trench, and any further flooding could be fatal to already sensitive remnants. Prior to Uvgun religious school, the site was occupied by Myangadiin monastic city which was split into two different units Khovd Goliin Datsan and Naidan Datsan.The Uvgun religious school base is found on the inner slopes of Khar Nuruu which is in the valley of low rise mountains extending from the Khan Khukh mountain range northeast of Zeeren lake. The site is 3 km. northeast of the Lake Zeeren. The site base consists of a few blocks of building walls standing sparsely in the west, north and the east. Remnants from a watchtower are seen in the middle of the site. The average height of the walls is 1.5 m. and the walls and watchtower were made from medium sized mud bricks. Although the base is eroded by wind, the dark appearance of the site makes it still visible from a distance. In the middle of the south part of the site, is a square building base measuring 14 x 14 m which could have been the main Tsogchen Dugan. Remnants including a mud base and dirt and stone wall bases are clearly visible. In the east section is a small building wall that measures 3 x 2 m. Although there are a few other building walls remaining they are missing at least one side of the walls. Although locals still revere the site and protect it from any traffic, the site is visited by livestock looking for lush green grass.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1937 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:
Огноо хаагдсан: 1938 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:
Огноо нураагдсан:: 1950 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:
Огноо нураагдсан:: 1950 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Old monastery/temple revived:

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):

Date of Reviving:

Monks in Old Temple :
about 100 monks
about 80 monks
about 100 monks
about 80 monks

Notes :
1. Locals are used to the name Uvgun Datsan and during last the 20 years it has been referred as Datsangiin Shave. There were 3 religious schools named Uvgun Datsan, Goliin Datsan and Naidan Datsan on the land of Myangad sum. Out of these religious schools, the Uvgun Religious school was the first to be built and subsequently the other two religious schools were separated. Any religious centre is called Datsan by the local Myangads. 2. In B. Rinchen’s list, the site has two names Goliin Datsan – Dondovgandalin and Tugdevgandanpenleijin. Its location is in a place called Tsagaan Tokhoi. The Uvgun Datsan religious school’s name was inspired by B. Rinchen’s list. Some Myangads say that the previous monastic city located on the shoreline of Khovd River was the main datsan. 13. There is no one to provide information on when Uvgun Datsan religious school was open, what monks occupied, and when the de-merging started. Only a small number of rough info are left from the site.

Form Number :
ХОМД 112

Survey Team :
Team А

Газрын зураг / Map