Lamyn mod

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Lamyn mod ,Lamyn gurvan mod,

Rinchen Number :

Rinchen Name :
Zumiyagiin khuree

Type of Temple :
Monastic School

Aimag Temple located in :

Sum Temple located in :
Buyant sum

Old Aimag Name :
Zasagt Khan

Old Sum Name :
Tariachin khoshuu

Description of location :
The site is located in the area of nariin Gol bag, which is 45Km east of Khovd city and 10Km to the south of Buyant sum centre. The area is flat with sandy soil. In autumn herders cut the grass for hay in this area. The western-most end of the area that leads into the mountain is called Nariin gol, the eastern end is the Khovd river bank and the area that connects to Khar Us lake is called Sharga curve. The strip in between is a river Zumya. An old bag centre is located on the eastern bank of the Zumya river. During the summer there are many flies and mosquitos around so the herders move up to the mountains.

GPS readings :
North 48° 06’  East 091°  55’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: 300 Side2: 250 Side3: 5 Side4: 6 Side5: Side6:

Revived temple on site :

Status of site at time of survey :
There are remains of the temple still visible on the site, which is in the valley of Zumiya near the monk’s tree, along with some associated structures. The outlines of the monastery building, the fence and the monks dormitory are visible. Ruins of the outer fence/wall remain on the eastern and southern sides of the site. Other parts are now covered with grass. The wall, 50-60cm wide, was built of clay bricks. We assumed the temple buildings were to the east of the monk’s tree. The main temple was built first and 6 aspen trees were planted on the western part of the site. This is an assumption too. The current inhabitants of the area are Tuvans who moved here from China in the mid 1940’s. Thus they do not know much about the monastery. There are two stone bases of prayer wheels, one of which is rectangular shaped and the other one is circular. The rectangular one, which is 120cm wide, has been excavated but the circular one is 15M from the site. Round shaped rock, which is 50cm in diameter and 50cm high, has something like writing or some ornaments inscribed on it. But it is difficult to see. 50M east of the monk’s tree there are the outlines of foundations of two small buildings. Sandy soil is covering the remains on the site and, also, a road now passes over the site.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1937 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001
Огноо хаагдсан: 1938 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:002
Огноо нураагдсан:: 1940 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001
Огноо нураагдсан:: 1950 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:002

Old monastery/temple revived:

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):

Date of Reviving:

Monks in Old Temple :
over 100 monks
about 40-50 monks
over 100 monks
about 40-50 monks

Notes :
The locals in Buyant’s sum’s Nariin bag in Khovd province call this old monastery site, which lies in the Zumiya valley, Lamyn Gurvan Mod (three trees of the monk) or Lamyn Mod (monk’s tree). For instance people say ‘we live near the Monk’s Tree’. 7. It is difficult to define the how big the monastery site was. The outer fence outlines suggest that the site was 200M x 300M. There are clear outlines of the bases of two buildings, one is five metres square and the other is about six metres square

Form Number :
ХОБУ 109

Survey Team :
Team А

Газрын зураг / Map