Zuun khuree

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Zuun khuree,Khan Khukhin Khuree / Gandandarjaalin/,

Rinchen Number :

Rinchen Name :
Khan khukhiin khuree, Ikh iljgengnii khuree, Achit vangiin khuree, Gandandarjaalin

Type of Temple :
Monastic School

Aimag Temple located in :

Sum Temple located in :
Undur khangai sum

Old Aimag Name :
Zasagt Khan

Old Sum Name :
Lu Gunii khoshuu/Achit Vangiin Khoshuu/

Description of location :
The monastery was located in between the two rivers, Dund gol and Baruun gol, that run through the mountains of Khan Khukhii. Currently the Undurkhangai sum centre of Uvs province is located here. The site is surrounded with mountains and geographically it’s a beautiful site.

GPS readings :
North 49° 16’  East 094°  51’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: 140 Side2: 90 Side3: Side4: Side5: Side6:

Revived temple on site :

Status of site at time of survey :
The old monastery has been rebuilt on it’s original site. The main temple is completed .There are a number of remains from the old temple buildings, including the remains of the Choir’s temple. On the south side of the site there is a tree with blue scarves tied to it. The locals take dirt from there for their household sites. On the south side there are remains of rock steps. That’s the area where the monks used to live. The outline of the monks residence area is 18 m. X 23.5 m.There are remains of Sanling temple on the southwest side of the current Kanjuur temple. The area is 22 m. X 15 m. big. The new temple, built on the spot of the former main temple, protects the old site from being completely demolished, however eastern and western parts of the site are under the residential houses and fences. Thus it’s difficult to estimate how big the site area was. Southeast from the site, a stupa is erected on the spot of the old one. The old stupa was there until the 1937, and there used to be a spring running by it. To commemorate the old one this new stupa is built. The current stupa is protected by 4 lions. We took a photo of it. On the north side, the old ovoo has been re-piled up.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1937 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001
Огноо нураагдсан:: - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Old monastery/temple revived:

Revived temple register number:
УВӨХ 018

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):
Нэр, цол хэргэм : Lu janjin gun - Ярилцлагын дугаар: 001

Date of Reviving:
Year : 1990 - Ярилцлагын дугаар: 001

Monks in Old Temple :
630 monks
over 600 monks

Notes :
The measurements do not reflect the original size of the old temple site. It’s only the area of the main temple with the current surrounding fence. A drawing made in 1969 by a herder,, Badaw on a piece of cloth (3 m. X 3.5 m.)is kept in the temple. The drawing was based on the stories by the former monks so it’s quite a realistic source. Badaw himself used to be a monk at the old Gandandarjaalin monastery.We made a copy of the drawing. There is a copy of the drawing on the page number 110 of “Nomch mergen Gegeenten” book, published in 2007, UB.

Form Number :
УВӨХ 017

Survey Team :
Team А


Oral History :

Газрын зураг / Map