Baruun cheejiin jas

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Baruun cheejiin jas,

Rinchen Number :
0

Type of Temple :
Temporary Assembly

Aimag Temple located in :
Dundgovi

Sum Temple located in :
Tsagaandelger soum

Old Aimag Name :
Setsen Khan

Old Sum Name :
Borjigon setsen vangiin khoshuu

Description of location :
The site is located on the north-west side of Zulai mountain. The site was not found so no GPS readings.

Revived temple on site :
No

Status of site at time of survey :
There is contradictory data on the site of this monastery. Perhaps it is only a name variant for the monastic site, indicated by Rinchen. According to Ya. Ishbaldan, abbot of the present Gandanravjaalin monastery in the centre of Tsagaandelger, who was born in 1916 and became a monk at the age of 8 or 9 at Baruun Choir, there were many jas temples in the area, every otog had its own jas. Usually there was only 1 takhilch (offering preparer) monk living in them, or some monks, and Mönkh zul (eternal butter lamp). Monks from Baruun Choir came to hold ceremonies in there jas temples for some days in summer during the 45 days Monlom (TIB: smon-lam, ‘prayer’) period, before the Maitreya circumambulation and before the –Khailen retreat. According to him, Baruun Tseejiin jas (‘Western Tseejiin jas’) was situated at the Mountain Zalaa, on its north-west. There was only one temple built here, called Lansiin dugan. There was another jas called Züün Cheejin jas also (‘Eastern Cheejin jas’) nearby, but he could not provide data on it as he had never visited it. He did not know its exact site. The surveyors found the ruins of only one jas monastery in the area, on the east of Tsagaan ovoo. (See ДУЦД 077) A local shepherd claimed he had heard from his father who was a monk before the purges, that there were 2 assemblies near Tsagaan ovoo. Local people living about 15 km south of Tsagaan ovoo said that there are ruins on the northwest of the mountain. Anyway, these ruins were not found.

Site used for other purpose :
not clear

Date of founding the monastery/temple :
Unknown

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1937 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:A 68 A 69

Site used for other purpose :
not clear

Old monastery/temple revived:
No

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):
Нэр, цол хэргэм : Unknown - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Date of Reviving:

Monks in Old Temple :
1 тахилч лам суудаг байсан б
1 тахилч лам суудаг байсан б

Form Number :
ДУЦД 078

Survey Team :
Team C

Газрын зураг / Map