Tulgan jas

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Tulgan jas,Tulgyn jas /Bayan uulyn jas/,Zulegt,

Rinchen Number :

Rinchen Name :
Zulgetiin khural Tulga khural

Type of Temple :
Temporary Assembly

Aimag Temple located in :

Sum Temple located in :
Tsagaandelger soum

Old Aimag Name :
Setsen Khan

Old Sum Name :
Borjigon setsen vangiin khoshuu

Description of location :
The site is located at Delgerekh Zam brigade, which is 25Km north-east of the sum centre. It is south of Bayan mountain.

GPS readings :
North 46° 28’  East 107°  52’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: У120 Side2: Ө 80 Side3: Side4: Side5: Side6:

Revived temple on site :

Status of site at time of survey :
On the site the outlines are visible of many small buildings. These are marked by lines of stones or in rectangular shapes. Most of them must have been monks residences (as most of them are about the same size (5 x5, 6 x6 steps). It is not clear where the temple buildings were situated, nor the number of the temples here. The whole area is about 80 m x 120 m and it is full of these foundations of buildings marked only by stones. Other things found on the site were pieces of pots (togoo) and pieces of wood (probably old pillars). Materials from the monastery are supposed to have been used for shelters for animals situated nearby to the north. The well the monks used is in the area, on the north-east, with foundations of those small buildings very near it on the south and west, a few meters away. The holy mountain Bayan uul is on the north of the site, but some distance away. The area is surrounded by small hills and there is a lake (with water only if after rain) nearby in the south. Before the survey visit, there had been rain in the area, and water was flowing through the site making it very difficult to survey and to make out the layout of the old monastery. There is no ovoo that would be seen from the site. Bayan uul is not visible because of the hills nearby.

Site used for other purpose :
Хойд талд нэг өвөлжөө бий.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1937 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:A 69

Site used for other purpose :
Хойд талд нэг өвөлжөө бий.

Old monastery/temple revived:

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):

Date of Reviving:

Monks in Old Temple :
1 тахилч лам байсан байхаа,З
1 тахилч лам байсан байхаа,З

Notes :
Attachments: Data from the interview A68, A69 made with Ya. Ishbaldan, abbot of Gandanravjaalin monastery in the centre of Tsagaandelger sum. The informant was born in 1916 and became a monk at the age of 8 or 9 in Baruun Choir monastery. According to him there were many small jas temples in the area, with every otog having its own jas. Bayan uuliin jas or Tulga jas was situated at his birth place and he often went there for ceremonies with other monks from Baruun Choir. There was only one Takhilch (offering preparer) monk living there. It had a Mönkh zul (eternal burning butter lamp). It had 3 jas temples. It was one of the jas monasteries monks from Baruun Choir visited to hold ceremonies for some days during the 45 days of Molom (TIB: smon-lam, prayer) period during the summer before the Maitreya circumambulation and before Khailen retreat. According to him, Tulgiin jas had two yurt temples, called Bayale and Dari Ekh. According to the book, written by Ch. Mönknast (Tsagaandelgeriin tsadig oshivai, Ulaanbaatar 1994, p. 6.), Borjigin tsetsen vangiin khoshuu consisted of 7 otogs. One of them was Tulga otog which worshipped Bayan uul. Every otog had its own jas with periodic ceremonies.

Form Number :
ДУЦД 074

Survey Team :
Team C

Газрын зураг / Map

Site Plan

Site plan drawn by surveyors