Enger zulegtiin jas

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Enger zulegtiin jas,

Rinchen Number :
765

Rinchen Name :
Enger zulegtiin khural, kharnuud khural

Type of Temple :
Temporary Assembly

Aimag Temple located in :
Dundgovi

Sum Temple located in :
Gobi-Ugtaal soum

Old Aimag Name :
Setsen Khan

Old Sum Name :
Borjigon setsen Chin Vangiin khoshuu

Precis History(In Mongolian only):


Дундговь аймаг Говь угтаал сум.Энгэр зүлэгтийн хурал. Говь угтаал сумын төвөөс зүүн хойш 45 км-т Их газрын чулууны зүүн хойно Баян зүрх уулын зүүн талд Энгэр зүлэгтийн бууц хэмээх газар энэ хурлын туурь бий.Хэзээ хэн байгуулсан нь тодорхойгүй уг хурал нь цагийн хурал байсан бөгөөд тахилч нэг ламтай,дүйцэн өдрүүдээр лам нар цуглаж хурдаг байжээ.

Description of location :
The site is 45Km from the sum centre and is north-east of Ikh Gazryn Chuluu. North-west of the site is Enger zuleg buuts. Monks used to worship an ovoo which is to the north of the site.

GPS readings :
North 45° 57’  East 107°  16’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: 60 Side2: 40 Side3: Side4: Side5: Side6:

Revived temple on site :
No

Status of site at time of survey :
The site is on the north-west of Ajirkhai bag. Stone foundations / bases of buildings and some yurts are still visible on the site. Brass fragments of pots, etc. are scattered in the area. However, it must be noted that there is a winter residence for herders behind the monastic site thus these fragments need not be very old. There is an interesting 8 x 8 steps (square shaped) pile of stones the function of which is not clear. There was a well on the east and a brook in the west. Bayan bor ovoo is situated in the background. Bayanzürkh range is far in the west. There was no trace of digging. It seems that the buildings in this monastic complex were made of wood.

Site used for other purpose :
In the north of the site is a winter camp.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :
Unknown

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1937 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:interviewer Damchaa

Site used for other purpose :
In the north of the site is a winter camp.

Old monastery/temple revived:
No

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):

Date of Reviving:

Monks in Old Temple :
One monk
Two monks in charge of offering
One monk
Two monks in charge of offering

Notes :
Interview A 71: Data from the interview made with R. Ravjaa, monk of Ganjuur temple in the centre of Govi-Ugtaal sum. Born in 1925, the informant had been a monk in Baruun Ganjuur monastery. According to him, Enger Zülegtiin jas was situated on the west of the sum centre. According to him it had two temples. There were 2 Takhilch monks (offering preparers) residing there. Monks of Baruun Ganjuur and Züün Ganjuur monasteries went there to hold ceremonies in autumn. There were four financial units (jas) belonging to the monastery, called Kharnuud (this is used by Rinchen as an alternative name of the jas, Enger Zülegt), Khamar, Mand and Ravjaa jas. According to Damchaa (born 1927, see A56), who was living near this place when he was a child, there was only one small temple on the monastic site with one offering preparer (takhilch) living there permanently. Ceremonies were held only during the summer on some days when monks came to hold ceremonies. The wooden temple served for the assembly of 20-30 monks. There were some other buildings and yurts too. There were no stupas on the site. The area of Borjigin Setsen van had 4 mountains in the 4 sides with the name starting with Bayan (‘wealthy’) such as Bayanzürkh etc. The area of Ikh Gazriin Chuluu, situated near the site on the south, was the border of the two areas, Bogjigin Tsetsen vangiin Khoshuu and Daichin Beishiin Khoshuu.

Form Number :
ДУГУ 086

Survey Team :
Team C

Газрын зураг / Map

Site Plan

Site plan drawn by surveyors