Dambadarjaagiin khiid

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Dambadarjaagiin khiid,Shashniig badruulagch,Danbadarjialin,Damba,Dambadarjaa,ENG: Dambadarjaa monastery,TIB: bstan-pa dar-rgyas gling,

Rinchen Number :

Rinchen Name :
Dambadarjaagiin khiid

Type of Temple :
Monastic City

Aimag Temple located in :
Ulan Bator

Old Aimag Name :

Description of location :
For detailed account of the location of the site of Dambadarjaagiin khiid see section 8 below

GPS readings :
North 47° 58’  East 106°  56’

Revived temple on site :

Status of site at time of survey :
Description of the site Today, the whole territory of the yurt quarter, situated 8 km north of the capital, is called Dambadarjaa or Dar’ ekh and the area surrounding the monastery fence has been built over. The inscriptions in white stones of the three main Buddhist mantras in Tibetan script remain on the hillside behind the monastery. A stupa has been recently erected outside the monastery wall on the initiative of the monastery and a smaller stupa also can be seen on the hill. On the top of the hill behind the monastery there is a large and several smaller owoos. The main goal of the community today to restore the monastery to the way it was in the past. The eleven temples that survived in part or in full the destruction of 1937 are: Tsogchin dugan (main assembly hall), Jin khonkhnii süm (the shrine of the bell, survived and renovated), Jin khengeregiin süm (‘the shrine of the drum’, survived and renovated), Tüükhiin baruun süm (‘the right side historical shrine’, survived and renovated, contains a stele carved in Mongolian), Tüükhiin züün süm (‘the west side historical shrine’, survived and renovated, contains also a stele carved in Mongolian), Serüün Lawiran (summer palace, survived and renovated in 2005), two Jodkhan (TIB: mchod-khang, ‘shrine room, chapel’, survived and renovated), the main gate and two gates to the east and west (survived and renovated in 2005), outer fence (survived and renovated in 2005), inner fence surrounding the Lawiran. Four smaller temples on either side of the inner fence of Lawiran also survived but they are in a very poor condition so there is an urgent need to renovate them. (One of them to the left of the Lawiran was used for reading requested texts to individuals in 2001, but is out of use today.) In 2004, the Jarankhashar stupa was erected behind the yurt-shaped temple. A square-shaped stupa-complex in honour of the Buddha was built in 2003 sponsored by a director of the Narantuul market at the site of the ruins of Shariliin süm. It is surrounded by prayer wheels and functions as a chapel called Isheepandelin dugan (TIB: ye-shes phan bde gling). Photos showing the monastery before 1936 and statues made in Tibet and Nepal can be seen inside. It is also the place where the Oroin yerööl ceremony, performed in order to gain better rebirth for the deceased ones, is conducted. The Serüün Lawiran has been renovated. This two-storey building houses the new statue of Lokeshvara, the two-handed standing emanation of Avalokiteshvara. It is on the second floor. The statue was donated by Gurudeva rinpoche (a highly esteemed lama of Inner-Mongolian origin who has made a significant contribution to the revival, restoration and reopening of temples in Mongolia) It is similar to the one that was worshipped here before the purges, which can now be seen in Gandan. During the summer, ceremonies are also held in this building. A shrine to the memory of Japanese soldiers who lost their lives in Mongolia was constructed in 2005. It bears the name of Khonshim bodhisattva (Avalokiteshvara). In the monastery complex of today, as well as the original and new temples, some of the white hospital buildings, built after the purges, remain. For example: the hospital laundry, situated on the south-east of the yurt-shaped temple building.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :
Between 1761 and 1765

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1937 some buildings destroyed - Ярилцлагын дугаар:
Огноо хаагдсан: 1939 remaining buildings used for Japanese prisone - Ярилцлагын дугаар:
Огноо хаагдсан: 1946-47 tuberculosis hospital - Ярилцлагын дугаар:
Огноо хаагдсан: 1987 -1997 old people home - Ярилцлагын дугаар:
Огноо нураагдсан:: - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Old monastery/temple revived:

Revived temple register number:
UB 07

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):
Нэр, цол хэргэм : D. Dashrenchin and G. Ochirjaw, Senior Lamas - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Date of Reviving:
Year : 1990 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Monks in Old Temple :
1500 at its height (presumably between 1911-1921)
150 lamas before the 1937/8 purges

Notes :
For detailed history of Dambadarjaagiin khiid see UBR 939 AM.pdf and for current revived monastery see UB 07 AM.pdf. All data on this temple is kindly provided by Kristina Teleki and Zsuzsa Majer who retain copyright. See relevant section in Monasteries and Temples of Bogdiin Khüree, Ikh Khüree or Urga, the Old Capital City of Mongolia in the First Part of the Twentieth Century: Zsuzsa Majer, Krisztina Teleki Budapest, Hungary. Ulaanbaatar 2006

Form Number :
UBR 939

Survey Team :
Team D

Газрын зураг / Map

Additional Material / Нэмэлт материал

UBR 939

Архивын зургууд / Archive photographs