Amgalangiin Geser süm

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Amgalangiin Geser süm ,ENG: Geser Temple in Amgalan,

Rinchen Number :

Rinchen Name :
Amgalangiin Geser süm

Type of Temple :

Aimag Temple located in :
Ulan Bator

Old Aimag Name :

Description of location :
GPS was taken at Dar’ ekhiin süm (UBR 931 Rinchen 931) and is given here only to mark the area of Amgalan (its temples were situated very near to each other). This temple was situated to the north-west of Dar’ ekhiin süm. Chinese name is Guan di/Guan yu.

GPS readings :
North 47° 54’  East 106°  59’

Revived temple on site :

Status of site at time of survey :
TThere are no visible remains. Based on the sources, the exact sites of the temples of Amgalan can be determined roughly in relation to the ruins of Dar’ ekh temple (UBR 931 Rinchen 931) and the remnants of a Chinese store building. In the whole area there are no other temple remnants than that of Dar’ ekh temple. According to Oyuunbileg, Z., the lions that were situated in front of this temple survived and are now at the Lion Bridge (Arslantai güür), on Peace Avenue over the Selbe River. Remark: In the area where Maimaachen once was, today there is a temple going by the name Choi dechin dashsümprellin that is operating in a yurt. It is situated between the ruins of an old Chinese store (next to Janjin Club), which was Nomtiin püüs, according to O. Pürew. However, the head of the new temple, J. Batkhaan (Choi) says that these are the remains of the old Geser temple of Amgalan. We could not find any source to confirm this assertion and all the other sources we consulted say that the only remaining temple in Amgalan is Dar’ ekhiin süm. For information about Choi dechin dashsümprellin temple see New Temples UB 24.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :
1870 according to Ölzii

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: Area destroyed in 1921 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:
Огноо хаагдсан: According to O. Pürew 1927 Moved to Baruun Geser - Ярилцлагын дугаар:
Огноо нураагдсан:: - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Old monastery/temple revived:

Revived temple register number:
UB 26

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):
Нэр, цол хэргэм : J. Batkhaan (Choi) lama who was a lama at Dashchoilin Monastery before he founded this temple - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Date of Reviving:
Year : 2002 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Monks in Old Temple :

Notes :
For more details on Amgalangiin Geser süm see UBR 930 AM.pdf. All data on this temple is kindly provided by Kristina Teleki and Zsuzsa Majer who retain copyright. See relevant section in Monasteries and Temples of Bogdiin Khüree, Ikh Khüree or Urga, the Old Capital City of Mongolia in the First Part of the Twentieth Century: Zsuzsa Majer, Krisztina Teleki Budapest, Hungary. Ulaanbaatar 2006

Form Number :
UBR 930

Survey Team :
Team D

Газрын зураг / Map

Additional Material / Нэмэлт материал

UBR 930

Архивын зургууд / Archive photographs