Saikhan Gombiin süm

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Saikhan Gombiin süm,Ikh shawiin kharchuudiin khural,

Rinchen Number :

Rinchen Name :
Ikh shawiin kharchuudiin khural

Type of Temple :

Aimag Temple located in :
Ulan Bator

Old Aimag Name :

Description of location :
GPS was taken at the Sansar Trade Center

GPS readings :
North 47° 55’  East 106°  56’

Revived temple on site :

Status of site at time of survey :
There are no remains as the site has been completely built over.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :
Possibly after 1913

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :

Old monastery/temple revived:

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):

Date of Reviving:

Notes :
For more information see UBR 927 AM.pdf Laymen lived this north-east area of the city to the east of Züün damnuurchin and the area was called Ikh shaw’ as its inhabitants came from the areas of Ikh shaw’, which were subordinated to the jewtsündamba khutagt himself and his ecclesiastical estate. As was usual, it was the laymen living in suburban areas who were the craftsmen providing the bogd, the nobles and high ranked lamas with their clothing, boots, hats and various luxury articles. According to Dashtseren lama, the Bogd khaan’s silken robes, which were decorated with pearls and other precious stones, were made by the laymen who belonged to and lived in Ikh shaw’ and Züün kharchuud. There was also a prison in the area. South-west of this territory vegetables were grown. Manchu military barracks were also situated there. According to Pürew (Mongoliin uls toriin töw, p. 92.) there was a temple called Saikhan Gombiin süm (‘Temple of Saikhan Gombo’) or Ikh shawiin kharchuudiin khural (‘Assembly of Ikh shaw’ ‘) and he claims that the temple was situated near the present Sansar Trade Center (Sansar üilchilgeenii töw) in the area of Sansar (12th khoroolol). Gonchig lama confirmed that there was a separate temple for the worship of Saikhan Gombo (Tib. mgon-po), who was the main protector of Dashchoimbel datsan as well. However, a painting by Jügder shows only some yurts in this area without any specific temple building. Considering this, Saikhan Gombiin süm may have been an assembly operating inside a yurt or perhaps the temple building was built later than 1913. All data on this temple is kindly provided by Kristina Teleki and Zsuzsa Majer who retain copyright. See relevant section in Monasteries and Temples of Bogdiin Khüree, Ikh Khüree or Urga, the Old Capital City of Mongolia in the First Part of the Twentieth Century: Zsuzsa Majer, Krisztina Teleki Budapest, Hungary. Ulaanbaatar 2006

Form Number :
UBR 927

Survey Team :
Team C

Газрын зураг / Map

Additional Material / Нэмэлт материал

UBR 927