Choijin lamiin süm

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Choijin lamiin süm ,chos-skyong bla-ma, brtse-‘phel gling, gtsang-khang,Temple of Increasing Mercy,Temple of the “Protector of the Teaching”,Temple of Choijin lama,Örshööliig khögjüülegch,Shashin sakhigchiin ordon,Zepellin süm,Nomiig tetgegch,Zankhan,

Rinchen Number :

Rinchen Name :
Temple of Choijin lama

Type of Temple :

Aimag Temple located in :
Ulan Bator

Description of location :
A small wooden temple was built between 1899 and 1901, which was next to the temple of Dashdandarlin aimag, north-west of the Yellow Palace. A separate enclosed complex was established between 1904 to 1908 with brick buildings designed by architect Ombog who also built the Bogd khaan’s Green Palace.

GPS readings :
North 47° 54’  East 106°  55’

Revived temple on site :

Status of site at time of survey :
For more information see UBR 915 AM.pdf The monastery is no longer an active place of worship being still used as a Museum. The basis of the exhibition is the many religious objects collected there at the time many monasteries were being destroyed in 1937-38. The temple complex of Choijin lama is a good example of Manchu religious architecture. Almost all the buildings, the yampai (Chinese yang pai, protective wall in front of the temple), gates and temples survived the purges. The temples were constructed of blue brick and wood, decorated with green tiled roofs the spines of which are ornamented with animal-shaped figures. There are five temples in the complex. As you enter, the first temple is the Temple of the Maharajas (Makhranz, Tib. rgyal chen, Skr. Maharaja, ’great king’, guards of the four directions), called Makhranziin süm with statues of the guards of the four directions. In the main temple (Gol süm) there are statues of buddhas, the thrones of Choijin lam and Baldanchoimbol with the statue of Choijin lam to the right and the embalmed mummy of Baldanchoimbol (the yonzon lam, teacher of the 7th and 8th jewtsündamba khutagt), which survived the purges, to the left. The Zuugiin süm, ‘temple of the Lord/Buddha Shyakyamuni’ is situated to the north-west of the main temple. Behind the main temple is the Yadamiin süm (‘Temple of the tutelary deity’, Tib. yi-dam) or the Ariun nandin shüteeniin süm (‘the temple of the pure precious object of worship’). The Khotol chuulganii tus amgalant tiwiin süm (‘Temple of the continent of the great happiness’) or the Temple of Öndör gegeen (Öndör gegeeniin süm) is an octagonal shaped two-storey building built in 1907 and dedicated to the memory of Öndör Gegeen.

Site used for other purpose :

Date of founding the monastery/temple :
1904 to 1908 brick buildings built
1903 the temple burnt down
A small wooden temple was built between 1899 and 1

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: Religious objects dumped from destroyed monasterie - Ярилцлагын дугаар:
Огноо хаагдсан: Temple closed in 1938 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:
Огноо хаагдсан: 1940 temple handed to Academy of Sciences and coll - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Site used for other purpose :

Old monastery/temple revived:

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):

Date of Reviving:

Monks in Old Temple :

Notes :
For more information see UBR 915 AM.pdf All data on this temple is kindly provided by Kristina Teleki and Zsuzsa Majer who retain copyright. See relevant section in Monasteries and Temples of Bogdiin Khüree, Ikh Khüree or Urga, the Old Capital City of Mongolia in the First Part of the Twentieth Century: Zsuzsa Majer, Krisztina Teleki Budapest, Hungary. Ulaanbaatar 2006

Form Number :
UBR 915

Survey Team :
Team C

Газрын зураг / Map

Additional Material / Нэмэлт материал

UBR 915

Архивын зургууд / Archive photographs